Get started with your FREE Masterclass and our weekly holistic health newsletter! Sign Up Now
Having a hard time sleeping well these days? Well, you’re not alone! And I’m here to help.
I reached out to world-renowned sleep expert Dr. Michael Breus, a.k.a. “The Sleep Doctor” and asked him to share the most effective tools and strategies to help you sleep your best during this uncertain and stressful time.
Because here’s the reality…
Sleep plays a major role in building our immune systems, so making sure we’re consistently getting a good night’s sleep is one of the best ways to boost our immunity and defend against viruses and disease.
Simply put, sleep is a natural immune booster.
Now more than ever, we need to make sure we’re taking care of ourselves and getting the quality sleep that we need. There’s no debating that sleep is vital to staying healthy.
And I want to make sure you have all the tools you need to help you sleep well during this weird and crazy time.
If you’re having trouble falling asleep or staying asleep because of stress and worry about everything going on, then I urge you to watch this interview with The Sleep Doctor. Your body with thank you. 🙂
And if you know someone who is experiencing sleep challenges, please share the link to this web page. This small gesture could make a big difference in someone’s life.
Here’s a time-stamped outline of everything you’ll learn about in the interview, so you can easily find the specific topics you want to hear more about.
- 5:55: 3 important ways sleep can increase your immune health and fight against viruses.
- 11:30: Why you don’t want to use an alarm to wake up.
- 12:05 Why our sleep needs shift as we age. (It has to do with melatonin production).
- 12:24 Why if you’re over the age of 50 you want to get your melatonin tested.
- 12:41: A simple experiment to determine your chronotype, which tells you when you should go to sleep and exactly how much sleep you need. (Everyone’s different – 8 hours is a myth!)
- 16:30: The minimum amount of sleep we all need.
- 16:50: Why you should AVOID napping.
- 18:17: The #1 thing you should do 90 minutes before bed to fall asleep more easily, have more positive dreams and stay asleep.
- 20:21: Why it’s OK to fall asleep with the TV on. (But it’s NOT ok to use iPhones, iPads and laptops before bed.)
- 22:49: How to access a FREE downloadable progressive relaxation audio program to listen to before bed.
- 23:27: How to drink alcohol safely, so it doesn’t disrupt your sleep. (Alcohol actually makes you have to go to the bathroom more frequently.)
- 26:16: Why a cup of coffee is NOT a good idea first thing in the morning. (And a simple alternative to help you feel more energized right after you wake up).
- 26:41: The best time to drink a cup of coffee.
- 28:43: How often you should be washing your sheets to prevent the spread of germs.
- 31:07: 3 things NOT to do when you wake up in the middle of the night.
- 32:34: 2 simple exercises you can to help you RELAX and fall back asleep easily when you wake up in the middle of the night.
- 33:38: How to prevent leg cramping in the middle of the night.
- 34:55: How to test for melatonin levels.
- 36:22: When it’s appropriate to take melatonin and when it’s not. (It can react with medications.)
- 37:13: Healthy dosage for melatonin. (If you take too much, you can have side effects.)
- 38:50: How to create the right lighting to safely use the bathroom in the middle of the night.
- 41:37: A tool to help you with jet lag.
- 42:53: The best time to take a shower or bath before bed to help raise melatonin production. (And why bubble baths are the best.)
- 44:00: 4 natural substances and a really cool device to help calm an overactive mind.
- 48:54: 3 steps to take if you or your bed partner snores.
- 50:55: Can you sleep too much?
- 51:02: Signs indicating you’re not getting the quality of sleep you need.
- 52:07: When to get a sleep study. (You can actually get a home-based sleep study sent to your home.)
- 52:36: How much you should sleep if you contract COVID-19.
- 53:46: Is it ok to let pets sleep with you in bed?
- 56:11: 3 simple steps to take when you have nightmares or vivid dreams.
- 57:45: Does CBD without THC from hemp help with sleep?
After you watch the interview, please leave me a comment below. I’d love to know how it helped you!
Here are Links to the Additional Resources that Dr. Breus Mentions in his Interview:
- How to determine your chronotype: http://chronoquiz.com/
- Tips to Sleep Better During the COVID-19 Pandemic: https://thesleepdoctor.com/sleep-pandemic/
- How to Go Back to Sleep When You Wake Up At Night: https://thesleepdoctor.com/2019/09/21/how-to-go-back-to-sleep-when-you-wake-up-at-night/
- 3 Reasons You Wake Up at Night and What To Do About It: https://thesleepdoctor.com/2018/04/28/3-reasons-you-wake-up-at-night/
- New Science on the Health Benefits of Melatonin — and How Well Does It Really Work for Sleep?: https://thesleepdoctor.com/2020/01/29/new-science-on-the-health-benefits-of-melatonin-and-how-well-does-it-really-work-for-sleep/
- Understanding GABA: https://thesleepdoctor.com/2018/06/19/understanding-gaba/
- How Magnolia Bark Affects Sleep and Health: https://thesleepdoctor.com/2018/02/27/magnolia-bark-affects-sleep-health/
- Thinking About Using Cannabis for Sleep? Here Are Some Things to Know: https://thesleepdoctor.com/2018/11/27/thinking-about-using-cannabis-for-sleep-here-are-some-things-to-know/
Here’s Dr. Breus’s Bio:
Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He was one of the youngest people to have passed the Board at age 31 and, with a specialty in Sleep Disorders, and is one of only 168 psychologists in the world with his credentials and distinction. Dr. Breus was recently named the Top Sleep Specialist in California by Reader’s Digest, and one of the 10 most influential people in sleep. Dr. Breus is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show (39 times).
Dr. Breus is the author of the book The Power of When, (September 2016) his third book ( #1 at Amazon for Time Management and #1 in Happiness, #28 overall) which is a ground breaking bio-hacking book proving that there is a perfect time to do everything, based on your hidden biological chronotype. Dr. Breus gives the reader the exact perfect time to have sex, run, a mile, eat a cheeseburger, ask your boss for a raise and much more.
His second book The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; May 2011), discusses the science and relationship between quality sleep and metabolism. His first book, GOOD NIGHT: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-WeekProgram to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin), an Amazon Top 100 Best Seller, has been met with rave reviews and continues to change the lives of readers.
Dr. Breus has supplied his expertise with both consulting and as a sleep educator (spokesperson) to brands such as Princess Cruise lines, Six Senses Hotel and Spa, Lighting Science Group, Advil PM, Breathe Rite, Crowne Plaza Hotels, Dong Energy (Denmark), Merck (Belsomra), iHome, and many more.
Dr. Breus lectures all over the world for organizations such as YPO (Young Presidents Organization) 20+ times in 2018-19, AT&T (10 times), on stage for Tony Robbins ( Unleash the Power), hospitals and medical centers, financial organizations, product companies and many more.
For over 14 years Dr. Breus served as the Sleep Expert for WebMD. Dr. Breus also writes The Insomnia Blog (on www.thesleepdoctor.com) and can be found regularly on, The Huffington Post, Psychology Today, and Sharecare.
Dr. Breus has given hundreds of presentations to professionals and the general public. He has published original research and worked on grant funded projects and clinical trials.
Dr. Breus has been interviewed on CNN, Oprah, The View, Anderson Cooper, Rachel Ray, Fox and Friends, The Doctors, Joy Behar, The CBS Early Show, The Today Show, and Kelly and Michael.